Review: The Iron King

by 12:31 PM 0 comments
Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.

Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.

When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.

But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil, no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

 
 

The Iron King (The Iron Fey #1) by Julie Kagawa

Published February 1st, 2010 by Harlequin Teen
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 2 Stars
Reviewed on March 31, 2016
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.

 

My Review

A Bitchy Review with the help of the Criminal Minds Cast




I would love to take Morgan's advice and behave myself right now, but "censor" is not part of my vocabulary. As bad as I make it sound, The Iron King wasn't that awful. However, the book would be the makings of an awful series if the author was to keep up the romance.

Sagging down the wall, I pulled my knees to my chest and joined them in their grieving, feeling I'd left my heart in the tunnel where Ash had fallen.


No, bitch. I. AM. SO. DONE. WITH YOU. I can not believe for a second that Meghan was romantically attached to Ash. There was nothing authentic about the development of their attraction to each other.

To top it off, lines that would normally pull at my heart strings made me roll my eyes.

"You made me feel alive."




something, something, something "you remind me of her. my dead girlfriend."
(I won't waste my time looking for the original line.)



I don't buy the romance. The near-death experiences and the attempted-rape incident that brought Ash and Meghan "closer together" was a cheap and shitty way to do it.



Please go back to killing each other.

I can only imagine how Meghan's unbelievable affection will escalate to obsession. And omg, he soda betrayys her, and she's like, like hurt, and shocked and like isn't their love supposed to defy the world, and it's soda funny her reaction. Lololol through tears.



Please stop there -.- I don't need your love story.

Now that I'm done trashing the romance, let's get to the good part. The technology concept obviously. At first, I was iffy about the Fae coexisting with the modern world, so color me impressed because I did not expect the direction The Iron King would take. I should have taken the title literally.

The downside: I didn't plunge into the faerie world. It was just there. The storytelling/setting was messy to follow (for instance, when the first Iron King popped up out of nowhere??? and all these other scenes). The writing was passable.

My empathy and sense of urgency were nonexistent, from when Meghan's brother was kidnapped to when her supposedly-best-friend Puck was punished for aiding in her quest. Did I ever fucking care? Did Meghan care? The only time I felt something was when the family dog was wrongly accused and put down. I was heartbroken.

The bright side: Meghan was naïve. She wasn't an ass-kicking fighter. She was dumb as fuck, but I tolerated it because she was a teenager in desperate need of connection.

And she ended up falling for Ash, much to my dismay. She sure knows how to choose them. *applauds* I mean, it wasn't enough that your crush in the beginning called you a bitch and you still wanted to be with him, but now you're pinning after an enemy who wants to kill you? Way to take it up a notch!



Gurlfriend, you're too emotionally immature to be in a relationship. Get real.

Nonetheless . . . even though Meghan had her flaws and I can appreciate that, she was as one-dimensional as the rest of the characters.

I may or may not give the second book a chance to flesh out the characters because I just don't care for them. Only the progression of the plot will change my mind. And no, do not give me that line, "Oh, but it gets better." I heard the same thing about Throne of Glass and The Grisha, but noooooo, my friends fooled me one too many times. I can't fangirl over the same books when I utterly detest them.



Please let me live my life in peace. I want to invest my time and energy in something promising.


 

My Rating

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment