Review: Tower of Thorns

by 9:15 AM 0 comments
Disillusioned healer Blackthorn and her companion, Grim, have settled in Dalriada to wait out the seven years of Blackthorn’s bond to her fey mentor, hoping to avoid any dire challenges. But trouble has a way of seeking out Blackthorn and Grim.

Lady Geiléis, a noblewoman from the northern border, has asked for the prince of Dalriada’s help in expelling a howling creature from an old tower on her land—one surrounded by an impenetrable hedge of thorns. Casting a blight over the entire district, and impossible to drive out by ordinary means, it threatens both the safety and the sanity of all who live nearby. With no ready solutions to offer, the prince consults Blackthorn and Grim.

As Blackthorn and Grim begin to put the pieces of this puzzle together, it’s apparent that a powerful adversary is working behind the scenes. Their quest is about to become a life and death struggle—a conflict in which even the closest of friends can find themselves on opposite sides.

Tower of Thorns (Blackthorn and Grim #2) by Juliet Marillier

Published November 3rd 2015 by Roc
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4 Stars
Reviewed on November 25, 2015
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.

My Review



Juliet Marillier and I are in a committed relationship.

Okay, I lie. It's one-sided. I'm committed to her. I have the utmost faith in her storytelling abilities and she has never once disappointed me. Sure, she did underwhelmed me with Dreamer's Pool and its plot and mystery, but I absolutely loved her characters. She didn't fail to make me care deeply for her characters and now I am strongly attached to companions Blackthorn and Grim. I love these two as friends. (Although I wouldn't be against the possibility of them being lovers.)



In this second book, Tower of Thorns we learn more about Blackthorn and we finally learn about Grim's past and oh my, did my heart suffer.


The Pros:

Grim. That precious human being. A gentle and tortured soul who's loyal to a fault.

Blackthorn. The healer No duh. A story is not completed without a strong heroine. She's a risk taker

The friendship. These two were cell mates in prison until they were broken out by one of the Fey. They become traveling companions, friends, and pretty much each other's rock and conscience.

The Fey Their helpfulness. Their ways of giving answers without being so direct.


The Cons:

The mystery stopped intriguing me from the middle because as the author kept hinting at the mystery, she never bothered to reveal anything new or worth knowing and of course that dragged the story for me. I had to push myself to keep reading then I became captivated by the ending.


 

My Rating

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment