Review: Scarlet

by 8:32 PM 0 comments
Cinder is back and trying to break out of prison—even though she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive if she does—in this second installment from Marissa Meyer.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother, or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana.


 

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

Published February 4th 2014 by Square Fish
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction
Rating: 3 Stars
Reviewed on November 29, 2015
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.
 


My Review

        3 Stars - Just because I was generous with Cinder before.

I can't lie. There's something quite appealing about The Lunar Chronicles and I finally understand why some readers would continue with a series when they didn't even enjoy the first installment and had no high hopes for the rest of the books. Take the Throne of Glass series, for example. Some of my friends and I were absolutely baffled by the hype surrounding the first book (take note: I said the first book, not the entire series) and I personally hated it to its core, from the poor execution of the plot/mystery to the shallow and inconsistent characters. After weeks of indecisiveness, I put my foot down and dropped the series.

With The Lunar Chronicles, I'm surprised I didn't do the same after suffering through Cinder, considering how underwhelmed and disappointed I was (and the fact that I couldn't stand Cinder or Kai due to their boring narrations and lack of personalities). And now here I am picking up where I left off with Scarlet, just because it had multiple povs which starred a new heroine.

Ehh, what a long story. Let's get to my actual short review.

After digging my brains for the last couple of hours, I don't think I have a single thing to complain about Scarlet. Scarlet neither one-up on Cinder nor did it suffer from second-book-syndrome. Its priority was to move the main storyline along and it did just that. However, there wasn't much to dread or be excited about because the "plot twists" and "cliff hangers" didn't do it for me. It left me with this feeling of "Oh, that's it?" We have the character Scarlet searching for her grandmother, who was believed to be involved in hiding and protecting the Lunar princess. Little did Scarlet know that the escaped Lunar fugitive on television was actually the princess. They eventually met and Cress will continue on from there.

Lastly, I will say that what probably draws me to The Lunar Chronicles is the combination of science fiction and fairytale retelling. I'm not a science fiction fan and I love retellings, so let's hope this series keep me engaged until the end. I already own Cress so I have to read it. 



My Rating

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment