Review: Followed by Frost

by 8:21 AM 0 comments
After 17-year-old Smitha is cursed to be as cold as her heart, Death himself offers her a chance for relief. Unwilling to give up her life, Smitha seeks redemption deep in the savage deserts, where her perpetual winter dares to make her a hero.












 

Followed by Frost by Charlie N. Holmberg

Published on September 22, 2015 by 47North.
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Reviewed on November 17, 2015
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.
 


My Review

THIS. This is the book I've been waiting for.

A book I want to stay up all night reading.

A book I want to gush over as my chest burst with feelings.

A book of vivid settings and rich storytelling.

A book full of quirky and beautiful dialogs.

A book that is predominantly romance but reserves its right as a fantasy book.

Despite my high enjoyment level, if I look at this book from a critical view, I can't rate Followed by Frost more than four stars.

Now let's talk about the characters.

Unlike some people, I was able to tolerate Smitha's bratty and shallow attitude and I quite liked it. I just didn't even know how bad it was until she started describing the kind of person she used to be. Consider she was cursed by a wizard to have frost literally live in her heart and a storm to follow her everywhere, you can trust me that it was pretty bad. Living in years of solitude, she had all the time in the world to reflect on her past while scavenging for food and comfort where she could find it. She did become an insecure, biddable, and mushy girl, but it's reasonable, seeing the dire situation she was in. I can't argue with her character development, even if I don't happen to be a big fan of her character.

Death. From the moment Smitha was cursed, Death had designs on her soul and I got the impression that she would go live with him. However, it isn't the case and Smitha ended up on a journey to a different country; all the while, with Death tormenting her. Oh, what a truly wasted character. He had so much potential to be a great antagonist. Furthermore, his actions felt out of place when he became violent with the protagonist in the spur of a moment, but then in the end, he just happens to "help" save her (and himself) without acting on his desire to hit her again. Talk about getting your priorities straight. He was your typical antagonist who engaged you with charm and honesty but possesses no other dimensions. Maybe it was the author's purpose to keep Death one-dimensional, but I didn't care. I would very much like to get to know book antagonists too.

Smitha's love interest is a likable character. Too likable, perhaps. And guess what? No insta-love! Even though I saw it coming (because let's be honest, it's nothing new to me) the romance still sneaked into the cracks of my doubt and showed me the power of love.


ARC provided by Netgalley in exchange an honest review.


 

My Rating

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment