Review: The Lady Hellion

by 12:05 PM 0 comments
Lady Sophia Barnes doesn’t take no for an answer. Especially when she’s roaming London’s seedy underground…dressed as a man.

A rabble rouser for justice, Sophie’s latest mission is to fight for the rights of the poor, the wretched—and the employees at Madame Hartley’s brothel. She’s not concerned about the criminals who will cross her path, for Sophie has mastered the art of deception—including the art of wearing trousers. Now her fate is in her own hands, along with a loaded gun. All she needs is instruction on how to shoot it. But only one person can help her: Lord Quint, the man who broke her heart years ago. The man she won’t let destroy her again…

The last thing Damien Beecham, Viscount Quint, needs is an intrusion on his privacy, especially from the beautiful, exasperating woman he’s never stopped wanting. A woman with a perilously absurd request, no less. For Damien is fighting a battle of his own, one he wishes to keep hidden—along with his feelings for Lady Sophia. Yet that fight is as hopeless as stopping her outlandish plan. Soon all Quint knows for certain is that he will die trying to protect her…


 

The Lady Hellion (Wicked Deceptions #3) by Joanna Shupe

Published May 26th 2015 by Zebra
Genre: Historical Romance
Rating: 1 Star
Reviewed on May 22, 2015
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.
 


My Review

After hitting it off with The Courtesan Duchess and The Harlot Countess, I regret to say The Lady Hellion is a huge miss.

Repeat after me: It’s not stubbornness. It’s stupidity.
Repeat after me: Stubbornness is not an excuse for stupidity.
Repeat after me: Stubbornness is not a substitute for stupidity.

I am a fan of Joann Shupe. I immensely enjoyed the first two books in The Wicked Deceptions series, but I really, really, really, really don’t like The Lady Hellion. I don’t hate it, per say. But I have never met such a boring and lifeless cross-dressing heroine.



1) TSTL heroine

"Why would anyone want to kill me?"

OH MY GOD.

Really?

Really?

Why the fuck does she have to act all surprised and deny someone is trying to kill her?

Sophia, dear. All you talk about is how you save prostitutes and you’re trying to solve a missing investigation and you want to ask WHY? Would you like me to write it out for you?

I can go on, but I won’t.



2) Lack of chemistry

Sophia and Quint (Damien) didn’t click in my eyes. I could have cared less about them.



3) Repeat

The whole “you said you were going to help me and you weren’t going to stop me” and “oh, no, I ravished her again” and “your reputation, your reputation, oh and let’s not forget your safety” performance got old quick. Stop with the circling conversations and drama. TOO TIME-CONSUMING.

Which brings me to another point . . . I can’t believe this book is about 350 pages long. Although I don’t know what takes place in the second half of the book, I am confident the pages could be reasonably cut down.


 

4) Mystery/Plot/Whatever you want to call it

Jack the Ripper is offended the lust took over the investigation. The characters made the audience lose interest. Specifically me.


Closing:

I finished halfway and had to stop. I won’t even bother with the second half. I am 100% certain I won’t find the “excitement” the least exciting.

ARC provided by the publisher through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.



My Rating

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment