Review: The Sin Eater's Daughter

by 7:25 PM 3 comments
I am the perfect weapon. I kill with a single touch.

Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.

Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.

Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...









The Sin Eater's Daughter (The Sin Eater's Daughter #1) by Melinda Salisbury

Published February 24th 2015 by Scholastic Press
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 2 Stars
Reviewed on April 22, 2015
This review can also be founds on Goodreads.
 

My Review

If touch can kill, The Sin Eater’s Daughter can kill . . . because I want to die of disappointment.

I expected something else. I pictured something else.

Not this.

I hate this book— and I’m not sure if that’s my way of liking it by showing a negative affection. For certain, I’m not feeling any love for the book. I don’t even know if I want to read the next book.


1) I don’t like the characters.



Let’s call the protagonist “T-Ball.” She annoys me. The only time I remotely liked her was when she went through this whole epiphany / self-reflection thing and she realizes how selfish and stupid she is for pitying herself and making up excuses. (Refer to page 263.)


2) I’m not feeling the romance. Should I even call this a love triangle between the prince and the guard? I have no clue what was up with the prince, but with the guard and T-Ball, they had a sort of insta-love going on. Their first “break the ice” moment was a little eye-roll worthy for me. Suspicious too. From the beginning, the main love interest “Leaf” rubbed me up in the wrong way and I knew better than to fall for his act. Because why else would the queen hire a Tregellian guard other than to use him as a puppet in her scheme? I smelled this crap from a million miles away.



The prince, well, I didn’t care for him or like him very much, although I think he would make a much more interesting character in book 2.


3) The plot is what exactly? Nothing happened at all. I expected T-Ball to be killing everybody all up in this book! Okay, not everybody, but you get my point. She spends her time playing the role of a lovesick fool, a music box, and a praying circle.



Because she has literally nothing to do in the castle. Nothing.
Beginning: Girl is sad. Her mom likes to eat. Girl doesn’t want to eat. Queen makes girl kill instead. Middle: Girl is still sad. Her mom still likes to eat. Girl still doesn’t want to eat. Queen continues to manipulate girl. End: Shit goes down. Girl is still sad.


4) Am I the only person bothered by the flashbacks?


5) Info-dump. The author did well with the world building, but that info-dump is insulting my eyes.


6) The villain is a total psychotic, nasty, obsessed human being who likes to play God, but overall, she is okay. The queen reminded me of Levana and I even wrote an update saying who would win a cat fight: Queen Levana or the Queen of Lormere?


And despite all my negativity surrounding the first book, I want Melinda Salisbury to keep on writing because she is definitely going somewhere with this. She just doesn't know where which is why the ending was so melodramatic and eye-rolling. However, the ending slightly saved her book for me and there's no denying how beautiful that cover is. Can you imagine how the rest of the series will look? Annnnd that’s all I have to say on the subject of whether I will pick up the next book or not.
 
The Sin Daughter’s Eater is not so bad that it deserves a one star, but neither does it deserve anything higher than a three star from me. The potential went to waste.
Thank you Scholastic Press for proving me with an ARC! These opinions are mine and mine alone.


My Rating

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

3 comments:

  1. Your review made me giggle, I love it when people can bluntly say they hate the book xD The cover is so beautiful though.. I want to own it just for the cover, but I know I probably won't read it again. I read this as well, the romance was a disaster in my case. The male leads were irritating.. I did like the heroine for the most part although she was too naive, or should I say rather stupid sometimes. I loved the evil Queen, her sick mentality really got it - & I agree with you, the ending sorta saved the book for me as well otherwise it was going to go downhill. Wonderful review, I'm surprised how our thoughts are very similar :) <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I would buy the book just to have the pretty cover to stare at lol.

      Both of the male leads were distasteful to me.

      Thank you! I noticed too that our thoughts are similar :)

      Delete
  2. Hi! I nominated you for the Liebster Award! Please check out my blog post to see what it's all about! :)
    http://nouralhajj.blogspot.com/2015/04/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete