Review: Married 'til Monday

by 4:57 PM 2 comments
23582593

Married 'til Monday by Denise Hunter

Expected publication: June 9th 2015 by Thomas Nelson
Rating: 3 Stars
Reviewed on April 4, 2015


Book Blurb

With a big anniversary party in the works for her parents, Ryan will pretend to be Abby's husband for just one last weekend.

Ryan McKinley has tried to move on from his ex-wife, Abby. He’s sulked, he’s gotten angry, and ultimately he bought her dream house. Big mistake. Living alone in the massive 2-story has only made him miss her more. When her parents call him out of the blue about their anniversary party in Summer Harbor, Maine, Ryan believes God has dropped a golden opportunity straight in his lap.

Abby McKinley never exactly told her parents about the divorce. A strained relationship with her dad has culminated in a distant relationship with her parents, but she’s finally succumbed to her mom’s pressure to make the drive for their 35th-anniversary party.

Then Ryan shows up on her doorstep, looking as devastatingly handsome as ever. When he insists he’s going to Seabrook, with or without her, Abby knows she can’t say no. Her parents still think they’re married and now Ryan knows it too. Besides, he only wants to check in with his best friend from college—her cousin Beau, who just lost his dad. It’s just a one-week road-trip with the man who broke her heart. What could possibly go wrong?



 

Review

ARC provided by publisher through Netgally in exchange for a honest review.


I didn't realize this was a Christian Fiction when I requested it.

How do I put this without receiving backlash from the Christian community?

I’ve read my share of Christian Literature and found them mediocre when it came to the romance genre. Why? Truth is they lack the romance part. The Christian references and mention of God tend to overpower the-butterflies-in-stomach sensation I love getting from romance books. I am a hopeless romantic, so can you blame me?

Maybe I just “don’t get it.” Maybe I’m not “devoted.” Maybe I don’t have “enough faith.” Maybe I don’t “appreciate” that God is essential to life and that He guides us through a lifetime, through every emotional and spiritual journey, through every hardship. Or maybe I’m “skeptical.” Or maybe the book is “too clean” and not a trashy romance.

A lot of maybes. Whatever. People will believe what they want and presume to know me.

It doesn’t change the fact that these books make me feel like I’m attending another Sunday of church. Too many God references every two paragraphs ruining my enjoyment.

Married 'til Monday is a tolerable exception. It made me feel. It made me angry. It made me miserable. It made me believe in the couple. It made me believe in their love. The emotional depth really surprised me because I’m used to seeing it shoved into the trunk while the religious know-how takes shotgun.

I appreciate the reality of this story. When tragedy strikes, we often take out our anger and fear on the people we love and we even put the blame on God. What did we do to deserve this fate? If God loved us, why would he do this? “Without suffering, there is no compassion.” Yeah, sure, if sweet words can easily cheer you up. The fact that Abby questioned God is what I find realistic and understandable.

Another thing I like about this story: God does not simply exist for moral support and Abby and Henry must have faith in themselves and act on their own free will. There is not meant to be. If you want something, you fight for it. We see that Henry continues to fight for Abby, even though she convinces herself they aren’t good for each other. She has a paper heart that can easily be ripped into shreds and she doesn’t want him anywhere near it.

The voices of these two characters touched me on a personal level and their relationship is heart-warming as well as heart-wrenching.

Married 'til Monday is a lovely story and I rate it three stars!


I can't find it in me to love this book and there are a few things left unresolved.



Rating

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

2 comments:

  1. LOL!! I laughed my butt off when you said it was Christian fiction on Goodreads. You're right! That genre always seems to lack in the romance department! Glad you still like this one! I'll back you up if anyone from the Christian community gives you crap. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. When I first found out it was a Christian fiction, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Like what the hell did I get myself into? Damn you, Cee, read the fine print. Glad you agree and can relate! Of course, you got my back. I knew I could count on you (;

      Delete