Review: Dark Triumph

by 5:08 PM 6 comments
9943270

Dark Triumph by Robin LaFevers

Published April 1st 2014 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published April 2nd 2013)
Rating: 4 Stars
Reviewed on April 5, 2015


Book Blurb

The convent views Sybella, naturally skilled in the arts of both death and seduction, as one of their most dangerous weapons. But those assassin's skills are little comfort when the convent returns her home to the life that nearly drove her mad. And while Sybella is a weapon of justice wrought by the god of death himself, he must give her a reason to live. When she discovers an unexpected ally imprisoned in the dungeons, will a daughter of Death find something other than vengeance to live for?


 

Review

Sweet baby nuns. The book was good. Disturbingly good.

I’ll keep this review short and sweet.

At first, I was intimidated to read Dark Triumph. Why? Sybella intimidates me. When she was introduced in Grace Mercy, she terrified me. With all the mystery clouding around her identity and history, she made a deeper impression than most of the characters. As Ismae met Sybella several times throughout Grace Mercy, I didn’t know whether Sybella was being cautious or she was an empty shell of emotions.

She is definitely not the latter.

Sybella is such a beautiful person. Through all her hatred, anger, suffering, and desire for vengeance, she makes room for compassion, loyalty, friendship, and love. Even though she feels tainted by her ugly past and corrupted family, she finds the courage to open her hearts to others and to let others love her. If these don’t make her beautiful, then I don’t know what will. She has to be one hell of a strong person to overcome a life of horror.

Beast’s love for Sybella is unconditional and he sees her as more than a deadly weapon to be used than tossed away when enough blood has been shed to clench the thirst. These two have come a long way and still they have their vulnerabilities. Although their love is unlike the nice slow burn in Grace Mercy that had my heart racing, it’s pleasing. Besides, I like Sybella better than Ismae.

The book did get bumpy for me here and there, but in the end, it earned four respectable stars. Dark Triumph is a worthy addition to the series!



Rating

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

6 comments:

  1. You're making me want to read these books! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dark Triumph is definitely my favorite of the trilogy. Good review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to skim the review because I have Grave Mercy but I haven't read it yet, but ughhh I want to read these books so bad. Whenever I think I have time to start GM, a book I have to read and forgot about comes out of nowhere, and I'm forced to switch around my TBR. This cover looks so dark and intriguing, I can't wait to read this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them whenever you get around to this trilogy :)

      Delete