Review: CRUSHED & HITCHED

by 10:55 AM 2 comments
Thank you to Xpresso Book Tour for the review opportunities! Book info copied and pasted below.



21702386
Crushed by Dawn Rae Miller
Publication date: December 9th 2012
Genres: New Adult, Romance

Synopsis:
Having it all has never been so hard.

For eighteen-year-old serial womanizer Fletch Colson, life is a game and if he plays by the rules, he’ll win it all: his dream college, his parents’ money, and a hot (if a little vapid) girl on his arm. Really, it couldn’t be easier. All he has to do is get good grades, live a privileged life, and try not to mess up too much.

However, when he accepts the seemingly impossible bet to change his ways and be “just friends” with smart, beautiful, tempting Ellie Jacobs – a girl who turns his world inside out – Fletch discovers his perfect life isn’t so wonderful.

As family secrets begin tumbling out, what once seemed simple and clear, no longer feels right, and Fletch must decide if winning it all  is worth losing a piece of himself.


25354745
Hitched by Dawn Rae Miller
(Note: Hitched can be read as a stand alone, but it would make more emotional sense to read Crushed also)
Publication date: April 14th 2015
Genres: New Adult, Romance

Synopsis:
Life hasn’t been easy for twenty-three year old Ellie Jacobs since her boyfriend, Fletch, walked out of her life two years earlier. She’s stuck in a consulting job she hates, buried under crushing student loans, and still longing for Fletch despite her best efforts to leave the past behind.

Letting go is hard when everywhere she turns, there’s a reminder of Fletch – from his face on gossip magazines to everyone being obsessed with his company, GroundFloor.

So when Ellie finds herself at a mutual friend’s wedding with Fletch, she decides to grin and bear it for the sake of the bride and groom. But years of anger have piled up, and Ellie doesn’t know if she can last the weekend without going crazy or lashing out.

However, as the wedding weekend progresses, Ellie realizes anger can only take you so far, but love can take you farther.



My Review:

Well, I was in for a pleasant surprise. CRUSHED is more angst than anything else.

“Fetch” is a total horny, whiny bitch. No insult intended. It’s the truth. He’s a horndog and needs to settle down his buns— no, I take that back— his buns need spanking. His friends are dicks too. He’s your typical kid: under pressure from the school, his parents, etc, etc. And despite all the cliché drama, I deeply felt for him as a person. For a long while, he became more than just a character to me. When he screamed to “purge”— as he puts it— himself, the echoes vibrated through my soul.

The sweet friendship between Ellie and Fletch is the best part about this book. They play tag! I mean how can you not fall for that?!


My favorite quotes:






What really bugs me:
• The slut shaming, of course
• I’m a little confused at one scene. Julia is Fletch’s mom. Catherine is Calista’s mom and yet, it was “Julia” who pulled Calista out of the room when it was supposed to be the mom because it was shortly pointed out later that “she sounds a little too upbeat considering her mom just hauled her ass out of the room and clearly laid into her.” I’m guessing the author got their names mixed.



Usually, I wouldn't bothered with sequels, but since CRUSHED was entirely in Fletch's pov, I wanted to read HITCHED which features Ellie's pov and sets place in the future.

After CRUSHED ended with a road trip, HITCHED fast forwards to five years later. Ellie is still seen as “one of the guys” but is she really one since Fletch left her life? And how about Fletch? Has he moved on?

There were repetitive dialogues and I ended up skimming texts here and there. Around 60%, I honestly got bored and was tired of the drama. This proves I should stick to stand-alones. Once I finish the first book, a second book tends to stir any emotions in me. For CRUSHED, I was never bored. For HITCHED, I couldn’t even get excited for the wedding and the happily ever after. Another reason why I shouldn’t read companion novels because I can only care so much for two characters in a first book until I stop caring altogether when a second book comes around.

That’s just me though. I think other people will become fans of these books.

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! Lol! I'll stay away from Hitched and just read Crushed. (: I'm not sure how I feel about a whiny guy, though! (:


    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete