Review: Since Drew

by 1:55 PM 6 comments
 22709310 

Since Drew by







All Andi Parker has ever wanted, all she’s ever dreamed of, is a spot on the Olympic track team. But when an accident leaves her hospitalized with serious injuries and shattered dreams, she’s not only uncertain what her future holds but also completely alone.

Drew Slater is a wanted man. Professional football teams want him for his arm. Women want him for his good looks and magnetic personality. But the well-crafted disguise he wears, the one that helps him score on and off the field, hides secrets. Conceals lies. Threatens the happiness of everyone around him.

One chance encounter brings Andi and Drew together, changing their worlds in ways they never thought possible. Unfortunately, what they thought they knew about themselves—and about each other—might just be the biggest lie of all.
  




TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

HOMERUN!!!!!

GOAL!!!!!

Since Drew scored big time.

There are no words to explain how much I love the easy banter and chemistry between Andi Parker and Drew Slater. The beginning is so sweet, beautiful, and sexy that I fell in love with these two people right away. The angst, too, is worth fussing over because I’m a sappy little woman and the characters’ turmoil touched my heart.



Why does it hurt so much to love these two? To see them suffer? To experience the angst?

I would love to rave on about my emotions and about how terrible I feel for Andi, for Drew, for everything. But I won’t.

The story is fast paced and easy to get through. Once I started reading, I knew where it was going. However, there are a few things I didn’t see coming and so after all the subtle hints hit me in the face like a fastball (it hurt because I got really attached to the characters), I realized there was more to the story than the blurb and the cover let on. Since Drew is definitely and literally a page-turner. By the way, I L-O-V-E the cover. One of my favorite contemporary covers <3

Okay, where was I again?

So what is this book about?

Dreams. Picking up the pieces of your shattered dreams. Setting apart reality from fiction. Discovering what you want for yourself. Fighting for what you want, even if you don’t believe you deserve it.

Regrets. Living with your mistakes. Dealing with your choices. Lifting the burdens off your shoulders and others.


Andi


Andi is tough and levelheaded. After waking up from an accident and learning she may never run again, she keeps her cool and doesn’t panic, but inside, a storm is raging. Years of hard training and passions are sucked down the drain. The Olympics is far out of her reach, her legs are useless, and nobody truly understands how she feels.

Andi is feisty and sarcastic and I love her for it. During her stay at the hospital, she uses humor as a defense mechanism.

“So, you feel hung over?”
“More like I did too many shots, went home with a guy I didn’t know, and let him do dirty things to me that I can’t remember.”


She’s the type of person who knows what she wants . . . until she meets Drew.


Drew


Drew is the golden boy who has a bright future of playing pro football. However, it’s a future that has less to do with what he wants and more to do with what his family, friends, and fans expect of him. He’s tormented and indecisive and it causes his heart, body, mind, and soul to suffer. He can be cocky and rude then caring and playful, and he shows all these sides to Andi because she’s not like the others who use him for his name, fame, and body.

“Thanks.” His voice travelled softly in the night air.
My head fell to the side while his eyes remained focused on the stars. “For what?”
“For being you.”


All in all, Drew is drop dead sexy and sweet and I love him.

There is an unstoppable force that pulls Andi and Drew together and not even hate can separate them.

Not even the one night that almost ended it all.




There are many lines to love in this book: the sweet dialogues, the sexy exchanges, eye-opening quotes, everything.


I do have a few issues with this book and although they don’t ruin the book for me, they do bother me. Please skip this part if you haven’t read Since Drew.

1) When the doctor first broke down the news to Andi about her legs, I understood her powerful need to keep it together. However, I expected Andi to at least have a mental breakdown later. Even if Drew did help her forget for a while, I find it unrealistic that she didn’t sob over her shattered dreams. No one is that strong. Although I've never had my dreams torn apart, I am speaking from experience when I say I would go completely nuts if I could never run again. Anyways, that's why I like this story because I connect with Andi on an emotional level.

2) Since Logan cyber-stalked Drew, wouldn’t it be all over the internet that he was in an accident? And even if it wasn’t on the news, which I doubt it, wouldn’t have Logan learned eventually told Andi?

3) What of Drew’s parents? How did they react to Drew’s wishes? I know this is a short story, but I wanted more insight on his family and his future when the book time jumped to four years later.

4) Does Andi ever confess to Drew about what transpired between them at the hospital? That it wasn’t a dream? Jesus, why must this be left open-ended? I hate it.



5) Their problems and the ending was too easily settled.



I rate Since Drew 4.5 stars since the ending didn't completely do it for me. I still love this book though! An ARC was provided through Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher and author! None of the pictures and gifs belong to me. I only edited them.

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

6 comments:

  1. If I don't get approved for this on NetGalley, I'm going to die. Lol.

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Adult can do me no wrong, * runs to goodreads to add to TBR * lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I need to read. Great review!

    ReplyDelete