Review: Leo

by 7:47 AM 4 comments
17825503

Leo by

Published June 12th 2013 by CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform





Evie and Leo met in foster care as children and formed a bond of friendship. As they grew, their bond turned to love, and they vowed to make a life together when they turned 18 and were no longer a part of the system.

When Leo unexpectedly gets adopted as a teen and moves to another city, he promises Evie that he will contact her as soon as he gets there and come back for her in a few short years. She never hears from him again.

Now eight years later, in spite of the odds, Evie has made a life for herself. She has a job. She has friends. She's content. Then a man shows up out of the blue, claiming that her long lost love, Leo, sent him to check up on her. The attraction between them is undeniable. But, should she trust this sexy stranger? Or is he keeping a secret about what his connection to Leo is really all about and why Leo disappeared all those years ago?



 


2 Stars!

Despite my low rating, I don't hate this book nor do I like it.

I’m going to keep this review short and point out the basics of my criticism.

Leo is my first book by Mia Sheridan.

The writing is okay, nothing that stands out or is awe-inspiring. Seeing as this is Mia’s debut novel, I believe, I’ll try not to pick at the immaturity of the writing.

I dove into Leo, already knowing the uncomplicated truth. Therefore, I’m not that bugged by the easy predictability. And yet, since there was not really anything to anticipate, the book was unexciting and slow.

Around chapter 10, I got weary of the book and I had to push myself to keep reading. Not good. The beginning moved a bit too fast for me. Jake and Evie moved too fast in their relationship. They jumped from strangers to friends to lovers so quickly that I don’t even think I had time to blink.

I instantly liked Evie when she began telling the story of The Glass Princess. However, Evie proved to be a boring character. Jake and Evie are both boring. The only thing that kept them interesting is I couldn’t wait to see their reactions when eventually shit will go down aka the “big plot twist.” I like Maurice. And he only showed up briefly.

Back to the writing . . . It’s irritating when Evie speaks an action. Sigh this. Sigh that. Just stop, woman! Authors should never write like this. Leave it out of your books, please.

There is no difference in Leo’s, Jake’s, Evie’s speech pattern from when they were to kids to when they are adults. At the age of 10, 11, 12, and 13, so forth, they don’t even talk like kids. They sound exactly the same.

Also, it’s lame to make your characters point out the clichés in the book, as if your only motive was to inform your readers that you know it’s cliché and we don’t need to comment on it. No. Just no. For future reference, don’t do it.

"Yeah, I know what a cliché is, what do you mean you are one?"
"Oh, right. Well, I spent a lot of time at my mom's house while she slept and she reads all these romance novels. So I read several and evidently, it's a thing, the beautiful girl with a gay best friend. It's a cliché. I'm a cliché."


It doesn’t sound smart of funny. It’s downright annoying. If real life people went actually around and declared themselves as clichés, I would be the typical sarcastic bitchy friend -.- How cliché. Nobody gives a fuck.

There is too much effort put into describing the clothes Evie wears and the makeup she puts on. I’m not interested in her everyday outfits. Please fucking stop. It’s not important.

Too much smut. It is not substitute for a plot or character development. I hate to say it, but I think this book might be nearly half smut.

The good stuff: The book affected me. It sickened me. It angered me. It made me tear up. It turned me into an ugly person. I wish I can push away Leo’s suffering from my mind. But I guess that’s what humans do . . . We turn our backs on the ugliness and pretend it doesn’t exist, as if pretending will make it go away.

I won’t let a few tears cloud my judgment though. People! Just because a book makes you cry doesn’t mean it’s good. And just because stories like Leo’s and Evie’s are true, it doesn’t suddenly make the book realistic. While Leo’s actions were understandable in a way, I found Evie to be a big cliché with no personality. Basically, everything in the book is a cliché rolled into a mess of fucked up bland crap.

Anyways, here are some of my favorite quotes:

“I think of that saying, ‘Sticks and stones can break your bones but names can never hurt you,’ and how it's all backwards. Sticks and stones and fists can break your bones, but it's the words that break your heart.”

“And why does every deliberately cruel person describe themselves as the perfect example of necessary bluntness? As if you are supposed to thank them for mowing over your heart with their special brand of honesty?”

“I thought of that first foster home like a junk drawer. You know, the one you keep in your kitchen for all the little odds and ends that you don't know what else to do with, that have no home? We were all the random pieces tossed there, no relationship to anything else, save for the fact that we were all miscellaneous.”

“I already know from past experience that you don't have to be awake to cry.”



There are times I like books where the couple separates. It makes for a better story.

Does Jake and Evie separate in the end?

You’ll have to read and find out for yourself.


**The picture and quote does not belong to me. I only did the editing.**


Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

4 comments:

  1. I really don't like to waste time reading mediocre books but sometimes it happens. I think this book would drive me crazy. Pass. Great review, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this is definitely a mediocre read and I don't think it's worth anyone's time unless curiosity compels them to read it just for the heck of it. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  2. I cannot stand cliché reads. They drive me absolutely batty. I hate wasting my time with mediocre reads. I'm going to pass on this one. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww, man!! Ok, I guess it will stay unread on my Kindle for a while longer. (:

    ReplyDelete