Review: Grave Mercy

by 11:49 PM 3 comments
15814555

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by







 
 
 

 I love historical reads! Political reads, on the other hand . . . Ehhh, not so much, especially when I don’t understand a twinge of it. However, the political intrigue in Grave Mercy kept me on the edge of my seat— or bed, I should say if we want to be realistic about it— and I didn’t have that much of a difficult time keeping up with the politics, tactics, and strategies. Plus the idea of assassin nuns and Death is kickass. The unexpected romance is a bonus. It’s a kind of love that slowly sneaks up on the protagonist and her love interest. There’s no insta-love here.

The beginning is the best part! I was bored here and there, but I enjoy and like the story at the very least. It’s good. It’s funny, exciting, dark, yet it lags behind the rank of full-on awesome and lovable for me. Also, I like the characters, but that’s where all feelings end. Reading Grave Mercy, I wasn’t attached to the characters and they didn’t leave a lasting impression on me.

Grave Mercy isn’t my cup of tea and I’m contemplating on whether I want to read the next book in the series or not, but before I end this short review, I will mention I like the setting (the Middle Ages) and the writing. Because of this, there’s a chance I might pick up Dark Triumph. I have a feeling that I’ll love Sybella and that her journey will be more of an emotional one and less of a political and spiritual one like Ismae’s.


Some of my favorite quotes:

“I find myself wishing for a great throbbing bruise instead. That I would know how to deal with better than this.”

”I can dodge a blow or block a knife. I am impervious to poison and know a dozen ways to escape a chokehold or garrote wire. But kindness? I do not know how to defend against that.”

“Why be the sheep when you can be the wolf?”

“I comfort myself with the knowledge that if Duval ever feels smothered by me, it will be because I am holding a pillow over his face.”

“Perhaps that is because you mistake death for justice, and they are not the same thing at all.”


I give Grave Mercy a 3.5 star rating for now. I’m going to sleep on it and decide in the morning if I should bump the rating up or down.
 
 
 

 

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, I have high hopes that I will love this one! I don't want to be bored when I read a book!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, I thought I would love this book :(

      Delete
  2. Same. I'm hoping I like Dark Triumph much better!

    ReplyDelete