Review: Broken Skies

by 11:27 PM 2 comments
20764638

Broken Skies (Broken Skies #1) by Theresa Kay

Published January 13th 2015 by Skyscape (first published March 10th 2014)
Genre: Fantasy, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Rating: 4 stars
Reviewed on March 6, 2015


Book Blurb

Thirty years ago, civilization collapsed. Few survived.
Ten years ago, the aliens arrived…and stayed.
One year ago, I killed two men and went a little crazy.
Today, the aliens took my brother and I will do anything to get him back.


In seventeen-year-old Jax Mitchell's world, humans are nearly extinct and alien settlers have arrived.

Until recently, the E’rikon have remained segregated in their city and ignored the few humans who have tried to engage them… but now they have taken Jax’s brother. To rescue him, she forms an uneasy alliance with a teenage E’rikon left stranded in the woods. She agrees to guide him to the city if he sneaks her past the human-proof barrier. Too bad it’s not that simple.

Jax, who cannot stand to be touched, finds that she’s drawn to the alien boy with bright green hair and jewel-like scales on his back. And he’s equally affected by her, the courageous redhead with haunted eyes. But she doesn’t know the alien’s true motives and he has no idea that she is much more than she seems.

With the aliens and the humans at odds, the connection forming between the two teens has consequences. What started off as a rescue mission sets a chain of events in motion which threatens not only the remaining humans and the growing alien society, but Earth itself.
  
 
 
 

Review

“Joke’s on you guys— I was already broken.”

If I had to describe this book in one word, it would be: awesome-heartthrob-thrilling-adventurous-fantastic.

Okay, that’s more than one, but I don’t have to describe this book in a single word, do I?

I started Broken Skies with the purpose of ignoring the GR reviews at all cost. I wanted to dive into it and not know what to expect. The less I knew, the more I anticipated.

Why is Jax unsociable? What is her social status in the settlement? What does it mean to be “Promised”? Why doesn’t Jax like being touched? Who is Lir? What is his social status among the aliens? Why was he left behind? What did he do to let this happen?

What did I discover? Broken Skies is much, much more than it appears at first glance— or the second glance— or the third.

I’ve stumbled upon plenty of books about girl rescues brother with the help of boy, and Broken Skies is one of the best and manages to surpass my strict 3-star-ratings. As a matter of fact, it’s only the second book to do so. The other being Heir to Sevenwaters.

Broken Skies takes place thirty years after the apocalypse, commonly referred to as “the Collapse.” Although aliens came to settle on the same soil already occupied by the survivors of this new age, they refuse to integrate and interact with the remaining humans, a greedy and arrogant species that led to their own near-extinction and destruction of civilization.

If that’s true, why do the aliens bother kidnapping Jax’s brother? A human?

Jax is “Jasmine” Mitchell, tomboy sister of her twin Jace. She refuses to become a breeding cow in her community and answers to no one but her brother. They are completely loyal to one another and she will not sit back and leave her only family to his fate. With the help of an alien named “Lir,” she embarks on a journey to rescue her brother— and maybe even the broken pieces of herself.

On the surface, this is the information you are presented with. However, as you read on, you learn under the surface that the history and dynamics of the post-apocalyptic world and the aliens are more complex than that, and I don’t think I’ll be able to explore what occurs without spoiling the book for interested readers so I’ll move onto the characters and forbidden romance.

I love a good romance in a fantasy novel, dystopian novel, you name it. What I absolutely hate is when that romance takes hostage of the plot. It’s a crime to fool me into thinking a book is worth reading when other key elements are overshadowed by stupid lovesick characters.

Rest assured that Broken Skies is not the case. The romance between Jax and Lir is a focus in the story but not to the point of suffocation. (Although I do admit to being suffocated by the feels I get from the characters.) The magnetism between them is indisputable and I find their feelings to be mature and courageous. They are well-developed characters, even Lir, who we see through only Jax’s eyes since the story is told in her first point of view. In fact, every character is well-developed and I hate to say it but I’m looking forward to the further development of the bad guys.

I have a like and hate relationship with the characters in this book, as I do with most books. All of them are enjoyable and intriguing to read about and they’re more than meets the eye.

Jace is the levelheaded one out of the twins. Jax, on the other hand, is impulsive, outspoken, and honestly downright delightful. She’s flawed She has real problems. She’s not a whinny little brat. And she especially doesn’t try to be someone she’s not. Jax is used to being underestimated because she’s a woman and because she heavily depends on Jace more than she wants to. After a past trauma that broke her body and mind, she has to rely on his support to get her through the terrifying nights. I really felt for her and connected with her on a personal level. At times, I had half a mind to wish she would abandon Lir. “Screw everyone else. Family matters.” Like me, she can be entirely selfish when it comes to her loved ones, but that’s what family is for. They make you do things you don’t want. They can make you feel safe then take away that sense of security just as easily. They make you weak and strong. Even though Jax allows her hot temper get the best of her and throws occasional fits, I never saw her as a mere child. Even when she shrinks into herself and breaks down on almost every single other page, I never saw her as weak. She’s a strong person and it’s easy to see why Lir falls for her.

Now Lir . . . He’s a pleasant character. His hair. His eyes. His smile. His scales (which is described so beautifully). His fucking irresistible eyebrow. Sure, that’s all swoon-worthy, but I’ll always put Jax before him. Her preservation and strong will is what matters the most to me and I refuse to waver because of all the good and charm he throws my way. He’s daring, compassionate, and protective. He protects Jax. Correction: They protect each other and I was in a bottle of nerves whenever they came across trouble. They’ve been their worst and most vulnerable around one another. Jax isn’t a damsel in distress, but when Lir does help her, it’s not because he thinks she’s weak and incapable. It’s because he shares a bond with her and worries for her more than he should let himself. A dangerous move, indeed, to get too close. He’s not trustworthy. There was too much mystery surrounding him and I couldn’t trust him. I knew there had to be some manipulation in his motives. As much as I like the idea of him with Jax, I don’t like him as a person.

The ending and whatnot: Major spoilers ahead. Please skip it. (view spoiler)

"The E’rikon have no clue that they have created a monster, one that hates the darkness but also craves the serenity that would come with its embrace."

Conclusion: Broken Skies is an exciting and fast paced read. The reactions it evoked in me had me smiling then cursing all within seconds of each other. Definitely worth a read if you’re a dystopia lover! See everyone at the sequel Fractured Suns. I can’t wait to meet new and old characters, observe the progress of Jax’s training, learn of the aliens’ and humans' plans, find out more about Lir's role in all of this, and see what happens when Jax and Lir meet again. I’m hoping she’ll punch him in the nose. That will give me (and maybe herself) great satisfaction.

4 stars!

I received a digital copy of this book directly from the author. It was given freely for an honest review and in no way does the generous gesture affect my opinions.
 
 
  

Rating



Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

2 comments:

  1. I seriously want to read this!! It sounds like a super fun read! I love it when books can make you feel so many emotions! (: Awesome review as always!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broken Skies is similar to Angelfall, Stolen Songbird, and Gates of Thread and Stone, but the book definitely stands out on its own. I hope you like it whenever you get around to reading it :) Thank you! :D

      Delete