Review: Angelfall

by 11:02 PM 1 comments
11500217

Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days #1) by Susan Ee

Published May 23rd 2013 by Hodder and Stoughton (first published May 21st 2011)
Genre: Fantasy, Dystopia, Paranormal
Rating: 5 Stars
Reviewed on March 7, 2015


Book Blurb

It's been six weeks since the angels of the apocalypse destroyed the world as we know it. Only pockets of humanity remain.

Savage street gangs rule the day while fear and superstition rule the night.

When angels fly away with a helpless girl, her seventeen-year-old sister Penryn will do anything to get her back...
 
 
 

Review

This is going to be one hell of a terrible review because I’m totally 100% fangirling over Angelfall. The book is absolutely incredible, amazing, beautiful— Damn it, I can’t praise it enough!



Literally, that ending is jaw-dropping and breathtaking. It is to die for. I am dying. I am fucking dying.



I’m a mess on the floor right now and I’m fidgeting to start on the second book, but first, I must get this review over with.

*takes a deep breath*

Okay, here we go.

“Who will guard against the guardians?”



Does anybody watch Supernatural? Well, if you do, imagine if the big bad angels had gotten their way. What if they really did bring on the apocalypse and it came to stay permanently? How will the human believers feel if they discovered their “guardian angels” are spoiled douchebags who don’t care about the annihilation of their father’s creations? Will the believers lose hope? Will they turn their back on God for letting the angels get away with it? Or will they pray and loyally wait for God to give them salvation? Where is God in all of this? What will happen to the world?

In Angelfall, it’s the angels you have to watch out for. The warriors of God had inflicted devastation on the human race, attacking mostly the major cities and driving people out of their homes. For weeks, the angels have made themselves comfortable on Earth, but what do they want?

Penryn Young has more than enough to worry about, without adding the reason behind the apocalypse to it. In the World Before, she could have been a normal high school teenager on track to graduate. But everything is changed. The angels are here to stay for God-knows-what-and-how-long and her father had selfishly abandoned the family. With a handicapped sister and a paranoid mother off her meds, the three of them are stooped to the level of rats, scavenging for scarce food and avoiding any threat, including other humans.

The means of survival become more real than ever when Penryn’s little sister Paige is abducted by angels and the only possible help she can get is . . . from another angel. Together, the unlikely pair fight off danger—gangs, sinister unknown creatures, and other angels.

”He told us once that the carnivorous and sometimes cannibalistic fish are actually quite shy and usually bump their prey before attacking, gaining confidence as their schoolmates do the same. This feels eerily like his description.”

The writing is vivid and awe-inspiring, and the tone goes from serious to humorous to touching to dark with effortless skill. The action and threats throughout the book effectively terrified me and I can’t remember the last time I got so worked up over a book. In one of my updates, I mentioned I could weep over Angelfall and I confess I dangerously came close because I was so damn emotional. Don’t look at me. Blame that epic ending. It is mind-blowing. I repeat with soul-binding conviction: The ending is epic, mind-blowing, and horrifying. If the sky had crashed down on me, I would not cared. I burned with this book.

75% into Angelfall and I was ready to rate the book four stars. Why not five stars?

My initial thought: Angelfall doesn’t “woo” me, and being a huge fan of Supernatural that I am, it’s like stepping into my own backyard where I’m too familiar with angels, so it’s not exactly a refreshing take.

But then things took a turn and I was like “Holy mother of god, this is so fucking good! Where have you been my whole life? My life is meaningless without you!”

Mini spoiler: (view spoiler)

And don’t even get me started on the two main characters. I love Penryn and Raffe. What makes Angelfall an exception among many of my perceptions is with books, sometimes I’m more concerned about the romance between two people rather than the individuals themselves. Then there are the occasions where I don’t care about the heroine, but only the hero. And vice versa. With Angelfall, I love and care for both Penryn and Raffe. My reasons for liking them aren’t because they give me “the feels” or because of what they represent when they’re together— romantic relationship or not. I like them because they are strong individuals with or without each other, with or without the drama, with or without the circumstances they are in. They don’t suddenly acquire personalities just because an author expects me to believe that the chemistry between two characters brings them to life. Due to their well-developed characters, Penryn and Raffe are as real on and off the pages. Penryn, with her undying love, loyalty, backbone, and the burdens she carry on her shoulders. Raffe, with his own mind, wary trust, strength, and human emotions. When I do view them as one, I value the fragile friendship between Raffe and Penryn. Nothing I say can do their characters justice.

Angelfall is the beginning to an end (end to a beginning?) and I highly recommend this book for fans of Supernatural, Walking Dead, dystopia, and angels. It deserves hundreds of stars, but my five stars will have to do.

Susan Ee . . .


I said that if I liked this book, I’ll make sure angels fall out of the sky, so here you go:


Some of my favorite quotes:
“I knew from the start that your loyalty would get you killed. I just never thought it would be your loyalty to me that would do it.”
“I never thought about it before, but I'm proud to be human. We're ever so flawed. We're frail, confused, violent, and we struggle with so many issues. But all in all, I'm proud to be a Daughter of Man.”

My soundtrack for Angelfall: Letters From the Sky | You Found Me | Holding On and Letting Go | Hawk Eyes

Digital copy provided by publisher through Netgalley. It was given freely for an honest review and in no way does the generous gesture affect my opinions.

Note to self: I’m buying a physical copy. I deserve a physical copy. I need Angelfall in my hands. I need it in my room. I need it on my shelf. I need it NOW.
 
 
 

Rating

5 Stars!
 


Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

1 comment: