My Opinion on Novellas

by 2:25 PM 4 comments
I'm not a big fan of an author making novellas for a series.

I am not at all.

I rarely make exceptions for the authors and books I love.
 
When a series is done, let it be done. Please.
  
I get it. They're doing it for their fans, and most of the times, these novellas are free and just for fun, but I still stand by my opinion that these little novellas have no meaning to me.
 
What's worse?
 
When I'm expected to read a novella that takes place before the first book or between a second and third book in order to help me better understand.
 
That's the problem.
 
I shouldn't have to go read another book to understand the contents in this book. You know what I mean? I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO read this and this to understand this and this. I should not.
 
Let me give you an example: If you've read my review for Throne of Glass, you know that I pretty much hate the book. If "hate" is too strong of a word, then I'll go with "dislike." Depending on my mood.
 
Throne of Glass is not an epic fantasy. It is a fantasy on romance crack. What's more: It is an absolute fail about assassins, specifically the protagonist Celaena Sardothien.
 
My point is that a nice GR friend of mine suggested that I read the novella The Assassin's Blade because it explains why Celaena is the way she is in Throne of Glass.
 
Do you see where I'm going with this?
 
I shouldn't have to fucking read a damn novella to understand Celaena. I've been told details about her past here and there in Throne of Glass, and even that didn't make me care for Celaena, so why should I take more time out of my life to read a novella that I shouldn't even need to read in order to understand her life in the first place.
 
And don't even get me started on The Assassin's Blade trying to prove Celaena is a badass and feared assassin. Like really? I don't care anymore. I stopped caring about seeing her as a kickass heroine as soon as I started skimming the last 70 pages of Throne of Glass.
 
Other books have been able to make me like and understand a protagonist without those damn novellas, so why does Throne of Glass have to be any different?
 
Back to novellas in general: There are many reasons to write a novella. Reasons which I've already stated and more. Maybe the author wants readers see to the story in another characters' pov. Maybe the author is granting fans' wishes to see what happens after the series ended. Maybe the author wants to give readers a clearer understanding. Maybe these authors are trying to rectify mistakes made in the original books. I don't know.
 
All I know is I don't care for novellas.

Even if they're for fun.
 


Leo and Cee out!

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

4 comments:

  1. I don't like reading novellas too. I was tempted to read The Assassin's Blade though because the cover is so gorgeous. But, I end up not buying it because I have other novels to read and these things are expensive! Also, I should know better than to judge a book by its cover!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True to that! I can be spending my money on new series.

      After Cinder and Throne of Glass, I've learned my lesson not to be sucked into a hype or a pretty cover.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you on this, I don't prefer reading novellas either - I read the first book in Throne of Glass, I thought it was decent, rather annoying at times though. I felt the main characters were arrogant plus there was hardly any fighting. A lot of people urged me to try the novellas but I'm not sure.. Great post! <3 Benish | Feminist Reflections

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The truth if it all exhausts me -.- lol

      Thank you! I wrote this post on a whim :P

      Delete