Review: Betrayed by Your Kiss

by 7:53 PM 0 comments
23390862     

Betrayed by Your Kiss by Laura Landon

Published March 24, 2015 by Montlake Romance
Genre: Historical Romance
Rating: 3.5 Stars
Reviewed on February 24, 2015


Book Blurb

It should have been the happiest night of her life…

Lady Olivia Sheridan knows one thing: she has loved Lord Damien forever. But when her beloved is accused of fathering another woman’s child, Olivia’s world is shattered in ways she never thought possible. Especially when Damien’s accuser sets a huge price on his head, and Olivia discovers Damien’s death will be the only outcome…unless she does the one thing he will never forgive her for doing.

When Olivia’s plan to save him goes disastrously, dangerously awry, Damien doesn’t think he’ll ever see the light of day again and, with bitterness, he realizes that the woman he loves is capable of the ultimate betrayal.

Now, four years later, Damien has returned. His eye is on one thing: seeking revenge for what Olivia did to him. Only his heart may get in the way…

Because hell hath no fury…like a man betrayed.
 
 
 

Review

 ARC received from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to the publisher and author!

Damien isn’t willing to let Olivia have power over him again. Not after her “betrayal.” His pride stands in the way of true love, and no matter what she does, he won’t ever forget and forgive. Most of all, he won’t give her what she wants: his heart. It’s going to be torture when her heart has always been his.

If you’re a fan of Lisa Kleypas’s Again the Magic, you may enjoy Laura Landon’s Betrayed by Your Kiss. While they have their individual charms, both share similarities:
• Main characters grew up together on the same estate.
• Two old flames separated and hardened by the struggles of life.
• The hero returns to England and reunites with the heroine. Together, they face the consequences of their choices. Betrayal, lost, hopelessness, demons etc.
• The hero in Betrayed by Your Kiss is scarred from a fire incident. The heroine in Again the Magic is scarred from a fire incident. Both of them are insecure about their ugly burns, but I feel Lisa Kleypas dealt with her heroine’s insecurity more emotionally.
• The heroine contemplates to marry a good friend for an advantageous and content marriage.


There is one major difference for me though: I did not want Damien and Olivia to end up together. No. Just no. I know. I surprised me too.


(Beware of upcoming spoilers.)
I envy Olivia’s strength and abilities to be her own woman. Damien is a whole different story. I can’t look passed my anger to forgive him. I’ve dealt with worst heroes, who are more dominant and possessive, but Damien landed on my bad side. To the very, very, very end, he remains a prideful coward, a stubborn ass, an unforgiving fool, and a blind man. He hurts Olivia over and over again to where enough is enough, and I wanted the goddamn woman to be done with him and marry someone who deserves her. Damien doesn’t gratefully acknowledge everything she did for him during “his death” and instead treats her with disdain. It does not help that she retaliates, but what else is she going to do? She isn’t the young, naïve girl she used to be and can’t break through the barriers around his heart. While she knows their possible marriage will be passionate, it won’t ever be blissful and he is determined to make her suffer until literal death do them apart. Towards the end of the story, she sails away from England.

This is where I stepped in and sighed with relief while fighting back tears. Tears of joy and pain for Olivia. Forget Damien. I was glad he lost her and I WANTED HER TO LEAVE HIM FOR GOOD. It was one of my "You go, girl" moments and I thought the story would end with her departure and it would’ve been the best ending ever. Truly, the best. But, no, to my disappointment, the next chapter fast-forwards to two weeks and three days later and I discovered Damien had drank his ass off and fought in brawls for the purpose of battling his sorrows. He “earns” his happy ending without a fuss when Olivia comes back. Did I forget to mention SHE TOOK A BULLET FOR HIM? The ending wrapped up too nicely for me. I didn’t get to see Damien’s terror and raw emotions from losing Olivia, only his fury directed at her up to this point, and I wanted more from him. An explanation of how he reacted in her two weeks' absence didn’t cut it for me. I hate things to be rushed.

So yes, even though I’m happy for them, their reunion is unsatisfying for me. The HEA is a disappointment. The couple is a disappointment. Damien is a disappointment. Olivia is a disappointment.
 
What is the point of my rambling? I wasn't compelled to root for the couple. That's my problem with this book: I didn't care.

Overall: Betrayed by Your Kiss isn’t bad at all (as in it's not dreadfully boring) and I give it 3.5 stars. It is my first read by Laura Landon and I look forward to reading more of her books (:
 
 

 

Rating

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

0 comments:

Post a Comment