Review: A Week to Be Wicked

by 7:34 AM 2 comments
  11738128

A Week to Be Wicked by Tessa Dare

Published March 27, 2012 by Avon
Genre: Historical Romance
Reviewed on February 15, 2015


Book Blurb


When a devilish lord and a bluestocking set off on the road to ruin...time is not on their side.
Minerva Highwood, one of Spindle Cove's confirmed spinsters, needs to be in Scotland.

Colin Sandhurst, Lord Payne, a rake of the first order, needs to be...anywhere but Spindle Cove.

These unlikely partners have one week to

• fake an elopement
• convince family and friends they're in "love"
• outrun armed robbers
• survive their worst nightmares
• travel four hundred miles without killing each other
All while sharing a very small carriage by day and an even smaller bed by night.

What they don't have time for is their growing attraction. Much less wild passion. And heaven forbid they spend precious hours baring their hearts and souls.

Suddenly one week seems like exactly enough time to find a world of trouble. And maybe...just maybe...love.

 

 


Review

[Part 1]

There will come a moment in your life when a book is too scandalous for you to form intelligent words. Instead, mute screams will come forth from your mouth and depict you as a gaping fish.

It appears A Week to Be Wicked is worthy to be one of those moments. In this case: a series of many moments, causing me to fret in my seat or put me on the edge of my bed.

I don’t remember the last time I had fun reading a book or the last time I respected a heroine as I do Minerva. Minerva is a surprising character. The book, taken as a whole, is a pleasant and fun surprise. I trembled with anticipation. I roared with laughter. I clutched my joy-spilling heart. I was happy. I am happy. I expected to love A Week to Be Wicked and my expectations were met because I do love it. So, it would be wrong to declare “surprise” (Colin’s and Minerva’s words) because I’m not surprised I love this book.

It did come as a surprise to me though that I absolutely like Minerva.

It’s “frank”ly (if you get my reference *wink *wink) so adorable how Minerva tries to work out and solve everything from the way Lord Payne reacted to her kiss to her growing attraction to him. His attraction to her, included.

She is a woman of science, after all, and she requires proof, explanation, and rationalization.

Though it’s tough to see how sharing a bed with a rake is rational, but she has her reasons.


“Mr. Sand, do you think it's possible to fall in love in the space of a single day?"
He smiled. "I wouldn't know. I only fall in love at night. Never lasts beyond breakfast, though.”



Lord Payne, Colin Sanburst, or “Pain” as Minerva and I like to call him, is an arrogant and lustful rake, her intended “fake” groom, the man whom she must pretend to be in love with. Simple: it’s all a pain in the ass and he’s a pain in the ass, if he’s not the ass himself.


“Oh no. Oh God. I couldn't possibly be so stupid."
"Don't limit yourself. You can be anything you wish.”



Though I give him credit for his vivid spirit. It’s one thing to be a teller of cruel remarks and jokes; it’s another thing to be an outright natural at being funny and witty. He can easily put people at ease, as well as startle them. And he isn’t stupid.


“Think of it like running down a slope. If you attempt to slow down and choose your steps, you’re bound to trip up and stumble. But if you simply let yourself run with the story, everything will come out fine.”


Throughout the book, I was indecisive in whether to kiss or smack Colin in the head for using a different name every time he addresses Minerva. For all intents and purposes, Minerva let it slide on every occasion, not understanding he deliberately does it to distance himself— personally and emotionally from her. As far as tortured heroes goes, I like Colin most of them all. At first, his cunning behavior is distasteful because you can never be certain if he’s for real or not, and I’m out for blood if he hurts my girl Minerva, but eventually, you realize his lies are as real as they are fake. If that makes any sense . . . He reveals himself in his lies. Lies tell truth, don’t they?

It’s in a woman’s nature to nurture those in pain, and Colin’s parents’ tragic deaths and his “fear” for the future brought out that nature in me. I want him to be cherished until the end of times and I’m so happy he chose Minerva to be there for him. Not to “heal” him. Not to “change” him. Just to simply be there and accept him for who he is, who he was, and who he can be. They are perfect together and they have my full support. What can I say? Sometimes, I don’t find myself rooting for a couple as earnestly and copious as I should, but Colin and Minerva are one of those exceptions.


“She’d literally made her bed and now she was lying in it. Colin was going to share it with her. That was the bargain.”


The two of them are odd when put together.

Entertaining odd.

Beautifully odd.

Hotly odd too.

From their ludicrous fabricated stories about the jungle (and royalty, circus, etc) to their stripdown in the bedchamber to their time in the bluebell meadow to her— and I quote— “fits of wild temper and uncontrollable passion.”

They gradually learn from one another and trust each other. On their journey to Scotland, Colin encourages her— technically, he pushes her— to step out of her comfort zone and embrace parts of her soul and passion that she keeps dormant. Don’t get her wrong; she doesn’t hide herself under her glasses and her clothes or behind her books. That’s who she is. It’s her charm.


“So odd. Most women of his acquaintance relied on physical beauty and charm to mask their less-pleasant traits. This girl did the opposite, hiding everything interesting about herself behind a prim, plain facade. What other surprises was she concealing?”


However, she doesn’t embrace who she is capable of becoming. She doesn’t enjoy life to the fullest because she doesn’t believe she’s meant for a life with a husband and children. She has so much potential, but she limits her ability, intelligence, and passion to only education.


“And even if she could discern what future she wanted . . . How would she bear it if a future that didn’t want her?”


My problem with this book: There are many grammatical errors. Quite obvious too. “He shook as head.” Really? I can overlook an error once or twice, but the errors exceed double digits. A few words and punctuations omitted here and there too, which slowed my reading, but all is well in the end.


My five stars are yours, Tessa. Take it and leave me be to love A Week to Be Wicked in private.





[Part 2]

Here’s a ridiculous version of my review:




Chapter 1: Ouch, that hurts.




Chapter 2: A bigger ouch and . . .
“Again and again, he’d witnessed this phenomenon with his friends. They got married. They were happy in that sated, grateful way of infrequently pleasured men with a now-steady source of coitus. Then they went about crowing as if they’d invented the institution of matrimony and stood to earn a profit for every bachelor they could convert.”
My friend, you are correct.


Chapter 3:: “Truly? That whole determined, dangerous saunter across the room was for me? In that case, would you mind going back and doing it all over again? Slowly this time, and with feeling.”




Chapter 4: “Her heart told her lies . . .”
I feel you.


Chapter 6: “What? You mean to travel almost five hundred miles alone? No. I can’t let you do that. I . . . I forbid you.” It was Colin’s first attempt at forbidding anyone to do anything, and it worked about as well as he’d expected it to. Which was to say, not at all.”
I don’t even know why you tried.
. . .
Too lost in the book to care about my reactions to chapters anymore
. . .


Chapter 20, 21, and beyond:






Chapter 23: I need a moment to collect myself.




Chapter 24: OMG, this is beautiful. Rain. RAIN!



This isn’t cheesy romantic. It’s down-to-earth romantic.
Pun intended.


Chapter 29: I’m constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop.
The “separation” that every hero and heroine has.
It didn’t happen.
Thank heavens.


The End: The proposal. Two proposals, I should say.
Can I just love everything?


 
  

Rating

5 Wicked Stars!
  

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

2 comments:

  1. I love that you find all these swoon-worthy romance novels! Great review, Mistress! Love all your gifs and the blurb sounds super interesting! Outrun armed robbers? Like, what? Lol!

    Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for swooning as long as I don't crack my head on a table on the way down xP. It's as awesome as it sounds haha. Thank you, Pearl (:

      Delete