Review: The Line Between

by 2:05 PM 2 comments
23346285

The Line Between by Tamsyn Bester 

Genre: Contemporary Romance
Reviewed on January 27, 2015
Add me on Goodreads!
ARC via Netgalley graciously given to me for an honest review

 

Book Blurb

 There’s a fine line between love and hate, so fine that you don’t know you’ve lost balance until it’s too late.
I’m not sure exactly when I lost my balance, all I know is that he was to blame.
Dane Winters.
The boy who’d spent most of his life hating me for reasons I never understood.

** ** ** ** ** **

It was no secret that I hated her, but only I knew why.
She was off-limits.
And then our separate worlds collided with one tragedy.
It wasn’t her fault, I knew that, but I wanted her to hurt the way I did, and I needed someone to blame. She was an easy target.
Kennedy Monroe.
The girl I’d picked on all our lives.
And the woman I barely tolerated.
Until the line between love and hate was no longer visible…



Review

Kennedy fell off the face of the earth after high school graduation. Dane, the tormenter, became the tormented as much as he tried to convince himself he didn’t care about her. With Kennedy back in his life, the line between hate and love begins to thin, and the two of them must move on from their past if they are ever going to learn to live again.
 

Truly, I was sympathetic towards Kennedy from the beginning and was proud she came back with some backbone, but she was constantly moody and unlikable, and I couldn’t quite put a finger on her personality. There was a bunch of talk about how “different” she was from past her— physical features mostly— but I didn’t grasp it when I couldn’t see the sweet and nice girl she once was. I wanted more of her. Even her hate wasn’t enough to make me angry and care about her.

Okay, I didn’t care about the sexual tension between Kennedy and Chase in the beginning. Usually I enjoy a good steamy scene or two before “the real thing actually happens”, but their less-than-enjoyable sexual encounters put me off and I wanted to give up on rooting for them. It was emotionally and sensually unsatisfying when I didn’t give a fuck about what made them horny.

While I didn’t appreciate the humping happening so soon when I had no emotional interest in it, I did have an emotional investment in Kennedy’s life.

There was a passage where Kennedy said she took a different road growing up because she had no other choice and the message really struck me because it’s true. This is exactly what I’ve been telling myself my whole life. Even now.
I was forced to grow up because of the tragic events that happened around me and to me. I felt older than I was and people always commented on how mature I was for my age, and instead of being flattered, it was a painful reminder of the innocent child I used to be and the happy child I could have been. I couldn’t be a defenseless child any longer and it was either endure the pain and adapt or succumb to weakness.

Teenage life is a matter of survival and most of us are lucky to be alive. A few of us are lucky to passage into adulthood without permanent scars and tragedies to haunt us in the middle of a conversation when we had thought we were strong and wise enough to move on and forget.

I believe everyone is a survivor of something.

I am a survivor. Kennedy is a survivor.

And I thank Tamsyn Bester for getting us.

Kennedy is flesh and bone and nobody can take that away from her without losing a bit of their own humanity.

Starting from the first page, I already knew I hated Dane and every other embodiment of him out there. I hate bullies and I was willing to be the bigger person here and forgive him, but really, he was wholly pathetic and rotten to the core. Nothing he did could redeem him. And honestly, to see him “care” for Kennedy left me sour and annoyed. This “couple” could barely communicate. I’ll even go as far as saying their relationship was almost as bad as Travis and Abby’s in Beautiful Disaster. (Key word: almost.) Kennedy was another Abby, just a less stupid version, who acted cold and dismissed everyone and everything when things didn’t go her way. It’s not so damn hard to COMMUNICATE when the both of them could’ve avoided the misunderstandings and over-exaggerated drama! For one thing, the “cafeteria rose” scene was an eye-roller and the romantic gesture in the end was dull.

In addition, another thing that bothered me is how nothing was revealed until the end. I’m not sure if “not knowing” was supposed to keep my interest because I already lost interest a long time ago when the book started its sex scene.

Vague reference to past tragedy. Sex scene. Vague reference to past tragedy. Sex scene. Vague reference to past tragedy. Sex scene.

Again, I didn’t appreciate the sensuality of this book and that’s just rare coming from me. I wanted to get everything over with when the past was obvious and boring.


Overall: The sex and “romance” overshadowed the bully and lost-of-a-love-one aspect of the book. Therefore, as much as I understand how important the family history and tragic accident were and how they were supposed to tear apart and bring Dane and Kennedy together, it was plainly ineffective, so I recommend this book to those who simply wants to read about two characters fighting their sexual attraction to each other. Disappointedly, The Line Between didn’t live up to any of my expectations. One expectation being I anticipated it to be a life-changer and to have me crying my eyes out. I even got tissues ready, but no tears came, except my silent sympathy.

I’ll be generous and give The Line Between two stars. 

 
 

Rating

  

Nancy Her

Blogger/Reviewer

Cee named The Mistress Case after Sherlock (BBC with Benedict) and Supernatural (Dean, baby). She writes mainly book reviews. On occasions, movies and TV shows. She reads and reviews in many genres, including fantasy, historical, contemporary, romance, erotica, mystery, etc. She personally rains more love on fantasy and historical romance and hopes you won't hold it against her. Caoi.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, sorry you didn't like this one! Haha! I'll give it a shot sometime soon and we can compare our thoughts. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had really high hopes for this book :(
      Nevertheless, do read it! I would love to hear what you think (:

      Delete